Chris and Jeff make a braised bean curd roll. This is best served at room temperature!
Braised Bean Curd Roll
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 to 3 large wood ear mushroom pieces, soaked and cut into thin strips
- 6-8 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked, stems removed, and julienned
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 thumb of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon of Shao xing wine
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- Soak the wood ear and shiitake mushrooms in warm water. Reserve the soaking liquid. Remove the shiitake stems and discard. Julienne the mushrooms.
- Stir fry carrot for a minute then add the mushrooms. Cook for another minute.
- Add scallion, garlic, ginger, and 1 tablespoon of Shao xing wine, cook for another minute. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, arrange the filling on a large piece of the bean curd sheet, and wrap into a large “spring roll”.
- Over medium-low heat, pan fry with a little oil until lightly browned. Turn over, and continue to fry until browned on both sides.
- Add oyster sauce and dark soy sauce to about 1 cup of the reserved mushroom soaking liquid. Add this to the frying pan and cover, lower heat to low, and allow to braise for about 5 minutes. Then turn the bean curd roll over, cover, and allow to braise for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Best served at room temperature.