Chris and Jeff make youtiao with a little downeast twist — adding Maine potato to the dough!
- 1/4 cup Self-rising Flour
- 1/2 of a cooked medium potato flesh (no skins)
- 1 tablespoon water (enough to get the ball of dough to come together)
- Add flour and potato to a food processor, and turn on for about 10 seconds to completely mix the ingredients.
- Add enough water to get it to pull together into a ball
- Lightly flour your work surface.
- Divide dough into about 4 small balls of dough.
- Flatten two into long wide pieces (about 1 1/2 wide, and 6 inches long. Lay one on top of the other, then use a chopstick to press down along the length of the dough to press the two pieces together and create a “plus” sign shape.
- Deep fry in oil for about 2 minutes, turning about half way through. Check the oil temp before starting with a wood or bamboo chopstick — make sure it’s bubbling when you insert the chopstick into the oil! No bubbles means the oil needs to heat up more!
- Dipping “sauce” options
- Jook or Congee
- Warm soy milk with sweetener like maple syrup