Chris and Jeff prepare scallion dishes — Scallion Pancakes and a Layered Scallion Omelette
Layered Scallion Omelette
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon shaoxing wine
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 coin ginger, smashed and minced
- 3 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup water + 1 teaspoon chicken bullion concentrate (or use a cup of chicken broth)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch + 2 tablespoons cold water, mixed into a slurry
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- To make the gravy, bring the water to a boil and add bullion concentrate (or bring the broth to a boil).
- Add the corn starch slurry a teaspoon at a time, stirring in between each addition to thicken the gravy, then add the soy sauce. Set aside.
- Mix together the minced aromatics (garlic, ginger, and scallion).
- To make the omelette, using a preheated and oiled skillet (or skillets!), pour enough egg to make one thin layer. Sprinkle some of the aromatics on top of the omelette. Cook until almost dry on top, then transfer the omelette to a plate.
- Repeat this process until you’ve used up the egg mixture and aromatics, layering each cooked omelette layer on top of the last.
- Top with the gravy and serve!