Chinese Dumplings 101
- Cookbook: A copy of Essential Chinese Hot Pot Cookbook is included with this class!
- Length: 3 hours
- Required Equipment:
- Steamed Dumplings—a steamer basket or some capacity to steam dumplings. This could be a large covered pot with a metal trivet to hold a dish inside the pot, and above an inch of water. If you have a wok with a lid, bamboo chopsticks can be used to suspend a plate over boiling water as well.
- Steam-Fried Dumplings—preferably a non-stick or cast iron skillet plus a cover that provides a pretty good seal to the pan.
- Special Ingredients*:
- Chinese Shaoxing cooking wine
- Toasted sesame oil
- Fresh ginger
- Chinese black vinegar
In this hands-on class, we will make 3 kinds of dumpling dough. Hot water dough, cold water dough, and combo dough. These will be used to make 3 types of dumplings: steamed, boiled, and steam-fried. I will demonstrate the Mushroom Dumplings filling as well as the Pork and Shrimp Dumplings fillings. We’ll also make some dipping sauces, and talk about different ways people like to eat their dumplings!
* Please see the ingredient lists used in this class. Your kitchen may consider many of these items staples while for others, many of these items may be new. You can make any of the three dumpling fillings, Mushroom, Pork and Shrimp, or Lamb. You are not expected to make all three during class!
-(0:15) — If you have specific questions about equipment or ingredients, I’ll be online 15 minutes before the scheduled start. Additionally, feel free to drop in early to meet other participants.
0:00 Introductions and Overview
0:05 Dumpling Dough
Knead to Know! Different types of dough for different types of dumplings
Demo: Cold & hot water dough
Hands-on: Mix and knead your cold and hot water doughs.
0:15 Dumpling Filling
Demo: Preparing a basic ground pork filling
Hands-on: Make your filling. Knead your cold water dough
0:35 Dipping Sauces
Demo: Scallion-Ginger Oil
Hands-on: Make your dipping sauce(s). Knead your cold water dough
0:45 Finishing our dough
Demo: Finishing the cold water dough, and making our combo dough.
Hands-on: Final knead of cold water dough. Mix your combo dough.
1:00 Dumpling wrappers
Demo: Rolling dumpling wrappers
Hands-on: Make your first 8-10 wrappers
1:15 Dumpling Folding
Lots of demos and hands-on dumpling folding!
2:00 Cooking Dumplings
Demo: Boiling dumplings, setting up a steamer, & steam-frying dumplings
Hands-on: Time to cook!
2:50 Nosh: Tasting time!
Actual times may vary!
Join a group class!
Looking to join a class? Check out the calendar to see when the next class will be and to register! Each ticket provides one Zoom login to the class for up to two (2) adults and a copy of my cookbook, Essential Chinese Hot Pot Cookbook. If you have kids, they can join help out too, but please make sure they remain under your direct supervision at all times! Tickets are $69 each.
Create a private class!
If the published list of classes doesn’t fit your schedule, you can schedule a private class with Jeff. Invite your friends! Make it a party! Private classes are $379 for up to 8 people plus $39 per person thereafter. One (1) cookbook per family/location. To schedule a private class, please contact Jeff directly: firstname.lastname@example.org